Thursday, November 13, 2014

Blog Post #13

So, what made you want to be a teacher?

1.) Watch this video Why Become a Teacher.

2.) Watch this video 7 Reasons Why Becoming a Teacher is Awesome.


 
Answer the driving question and other questions specific to the assignment in a post that adheres
to the standards found in the ACCRS and in Writing A Quality Blog Post.




My answer to my created blog post assignment...

I feel like this is a very important BlogPost assignment to include because it makes your students really reflect on why they are doing this in the first place. To my fellow future educators, this is not a profession you can just choose and expect to be happy with. It really does have to be your calling. Let's face it, there is no real money to be made in teaching. It is all about the rewards that come from it.

In Why Become a Teacher. , several teachers are interviewed about why they became a teacher. They really touched base on a lot of my reasons for wanting to be a teacher. I too had a high school teacher that really influenced me to go into teaching. She was an English teacher as well. English was my favorite class to begin with, but she really showed me just why I love English so much. I love the creativity and imagination behind every book I read. I want to share my love for reading with my students. My teacher really narrowed my focus into literature and classic novels. Grammar is great, but I feel like the literature aspect is more important. This teacher had such passion behind her lessons. As the video says, my teacher also took her teaching to a college level and that really pushed me to try harder. I accomplished more than I thought was possible and that is my goal for my own students. I want to push my kids to their full potential and beyond. Being a teacher means making an impact on a child's future. I don't see how any other career could be as rewarding.

7 Reasons Why Becoming a Teacher is Awesome. is a very simple video that says a WHOLE lot.
As a teacher you will...

#1 Be a Leader. To your kids, you are Superman. You know all and can help any situation. I remember being a student in high school and just thinking how brilliant my teachers were. A lot of that is due to their passion about their work and their own research that they put into their subject. Like Dr. Stranger says, "We are all learners." It is great though to feel as if you are leading these kids into their future.

#2 Give kids the skills they need. This is a VERY important role of being a teacher. We shouldn't just teach at our kids. We need to give them the important things they need to succeed out there in the real world. The real world is not about grades and test scores. That was one thing I did not like about my own education. I felt so helpless once I really got out there. What did I really learn at all?

#3 Create New and Innovative Lesson Plans.. This relates to all the other points. To be and do all these "Awesome" things as a teacher, we have to create new and exciting, awesome lesson plans that keep our students engaged and constantly finding new ways to succeed.

#4 Become an Expert. This correlates with what I commented on in the first video. Being a Secondary Education major I will have the opportunity to become an expert in my own subject: English. Teachers must take advantage of this. WE ARE ALL LEARNERS. I will never stop learning new things about my subject so I can find new ways to teach it to my students.

#5 Be the most important person to many families. This statement really hits home with me. Growing up with two working parents and being an only child, I didn't have many people to turn to for answers. But I did luckily have a few pretty amazing teachers who I could always go to. They were way more than just teachers. Even on a non-personal level, all teachers have children more hours of the day than the child's own parents do. We have to make the most of that time they are spending at school.  

#6 Fulfill your true calling. This one took a little work on my part and it is one of the main reasons why becoming a teacher is so special to me. Because at first, I planned on going into the medical field (Big money right?) I soon became depressed all the time and hated all of my classes. How could I do something I hated for the rest of my life? I had to choose what really made me happy: teaching. So, I made the tough decision of switching majors after two years and finally felt like I fit in.

#7 SHAPE OUR FUTURE. We are teaching tomorrow's leaders! This is a HUGE deal. Don't make light of this particular aspect to teaching. In our classrooms are future teachers, doctors, lawyers, and maybe even the future president. Give them what wisdom you can to lead them in the real world and never forget what a difference we make!
Text states,"Keep calm and remember you're a awesome teacher"
*An.. awesome teacher.

2 comments:

  1. "Grammar is great, but I feel like the literature aspect is more important." That may explain why so many of my students cannot write. Their English teachers wanted to teach literature instead. And did so!

    Good videos. I have added the first one to my Delicious list addspring15. I thought your comments about the second video ere better than the video itself.

    Thoughtful, thorough, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog post Taylor. I agree becoming a teacher is so fulfilling. As a future educator, we will play an important role in developing our nations future leaders. As you mentioned we need to create innovate lesson plans and find ways to make assignments relevant. This will ensure we prepare our student to be productive citizens in the world and ensure they are ready to compete for jobs in the future workforce.

    ReplyDelete