Friday, September 12, 2014

Summary Post for C4T #1

      Mrs. Deyamport is a gifted/spanish elementary school teacher for grades 2-6 and I was luckily given the opportunity to explore her blog Language Journeys.
    (C4T1#1)  In the most recent post on her blog, Mrs. Deyamport has just finished setting up her classroom for the new year. She has taken pictures of every corner of her room and included the ideas and processes she used for each station. My favorite station in her room was the reading corner. Mrs. Deyamport has organized her books in order of reading level and by either fiction or nonfiction. The reading corner was always my favorite spot in all of my elementary school classes.

Picture says "The Reading Corner"
Is Where It's At!
      (C4T1#2) Unfortunately, Mrs. Deyamport did not have a newer post than in my previous paragraph, so I was able to explore some earlier ones. In one of her more recent posts, she was discussing a project she had assigned to her students for history. The historical period was during The Civil Rights Movement. She explains how she didn't want this research paper to be like every other where students just google and throw facts back at the teacher's face. I completely agree with her! I despise research assignments for that simple fact. There's no creativity in that. So, she decides to make it a creative assignment instead. The students had a choice of using poetry or using a theme meme picture. I personally like the poem idea. Like Mrs. Deyamport, I believe this allows the kids to get more out of the project besides a grade and it allows them to have to think a little bit more about what they have learned in order to express it through the project.
      I thoroughly enjoyed visiting her blog and will be checking back on her classroom from time to time. Good luck this year Mrs. Deyamport!

No comments:

Post a Comment